Showing 1–9 of 38 results

  • £25.00

    Medal is struck:

    On obverse – Royal Jubilee Exhibition Manchester 1887

    On Reverse – Opened by the Prince and Princess of Wales  May 3rd 1887

    After the success of the 1851 Great Exhibition in London, other cities too began to hold their own exhibitions. Manchester was a great manufacturing city and the professional and business communities organised an event in 1887 to rival exhibitions held in other cities. The Royal Jubilee Exhibition in Manchester was opened on Tuesday 3rd May 1887 by the Prince and Princess of Wales. 4,765,000 people visited the exhibition. This commemorative medallion was issued to celebrate the event.

     

  • £5.00

    Obverse: Seated Hispania facing right within beaded circle “Diez gramos” is the weight (10g). Lettering: DIEZ GRAMOS L MARCHIONNI 1870

    Reverse: Lion and shield.
    Lettering: CIEN PIEZAS EN KILOG· OM DIEZ CENTIMOS

     

  • £5.00

    Obverse: Beaded inner circle with Hispania seated on the Pyrenees mountains, pointing right and engravers name below exergue line. Lettering around outside, date below

    Lettering: CINCO GRAMOS 1870 L MARCHIONNI. Translation: FIVE GRAMS 1870 L MARCHIONNI

    Reverse: Beaded inner circle with a lion standing, front paws resting on a shield on right, mintmark below exergue line. Lettering around outside.

    Lettering:
    DOSCIENTAS PIEZAS EN KILOG. CINCO CENTIMOS OM. Translation: 200 PIECES IN A KILOGRAM 5 CENTIMOS OM

  • £100.00

    The first reference to the Inverness project in the Matthew Boulton Papers comes on 13 December 1793, when nine casks of halfpence are recorded as having been struck for Mackintosh, Inglis & Wilson. That firm was charged £133.15s.3d. for 2,918 pounds 8 ounces of copper. Since Boulton charged 4 ½ pence per pound for turning the raw copper into halfpenny tokens, another £54.14s.5d. was incurred for coining – plus £1.19s.0d. for nine casks, paper, string, etc. and another £4.4s.0d. for dies. This means two obverse and two reverse dies were prepared, because Boulton commonly charged a guinea per die at this time. The grand total due Matthew Boulton from Mackintosh, Inglis & Wilson was £194.12s.8d. The firm took its time in paying up, and it is not until 23 October 1794 that a bill of exchange for that amount crossed the coiner’s till. 

    The general design of the Inverness halfpenny was as follows. On the obverse, a rose and thistle (for England and Scotland) were intertwined and tied with a ribbon, symbolic of the unity between the two parts of the island. The reverse bore a cornucopia of flowers with the legend CONCORDIA ET FIDELITAS – friendship and faithfulness. A rock beneath the cornucopia bore the date. A new designer, Conrad Heinrich Kuchler, engraved the dies, some of his earliest work for Soho Mint. 

  • £5.00

    Obverse: Portrait facing left, inside beaded circle. Lettering around outside, date underneath

    Lettering: NAPOLEON III EMPEREUR BARRE

    Reverse: Eagle with wings outstetched facing right

    LETTERING: EMPIRE FRANÇAIS A DIX CENTIMES

  • £50.00

    The Palais de l’Industrie (Palace of Industry) was an exhibition hall located between the Seine River and the Champs-Élysées, which was erected for the Paris World Fair in 1855. 

    Emperor Napoleon III wished the World’s Fair of 1855, which followed London‘s Great Exhibition by four years, to prove the superiority of the French by surpassing the British fair in every way. In particular, he desired a spectacular exhibition hall to rival The Crystal Palace. A competition held in 1852 was won by a plan by architect Jean-Marie-Victor Viel and engineer Desjardin, which combined the traditional use of masonry with that of cast iron. Due to cost constraints, however, the plans had to be reworked, for which the engineer Alexis Barrault is credited. In the final design, masonry was used only for the exterior walls, which were to be one metre thick and eighteen metres high. However, these massive walls were barely able to support the weight of the projecting cornice, and had to be reinforced with cast iron columns and beams